Belly Button Blues,part 2

Its 9:20 pm

So I’m following up to what happened after I went to the doctor (first time in 9 years in my case,but I saw enough doctors between 2010-13 to last 10 lifetimes) for a bleeding belly button.
I recieved some antibiotics and started to take them. I was told to put some neosporin in the button after I take my shower. Pretty simple things to do. That very same evening I take my shower,use a blow dryer to make sure the button is dry and then apply the neosporin with a Q-tip.
Pretty easy to do but I wasn’t expecting to see my Q-tip full of blood,something I hadn’t seen before. I flushed it again,dried it out and applied the neosporin. Then I called the off-hours nurse who was concerned,she made me a follow up appointment for Monday because of course,this happened on a Friday night.
Come Sunday morning and now I am experiencing pain on my left side,not bad but its there. I thought I slept on my keys at first but the pain didn’t go away.
So now I have two issues and it’s a bothersome thing I tell you.
Last Monday pops up and there I am in the office. My wait time was 40 minutes last time which was no big deal but this time I’m seen pretty much right away.
The good news is the button has started to clear up nicely but the pain in the side is still there and saying “Good morning”. For the first time I had to put Paladin down when he wanted to curl up on my chest,even 20 pounds caused some discomfort.
So the doctor examined the area and pressed down and he felt a small mass which he thought was a small fat mass which is common enough but since it was located by my spleen,which is a bad area for a mass to be chilling at,he ordered blood panel work-up.
Not a big thing since the lab is also located in the same building. I get my walking papers and head to the lab. As I’m sitting there,a flood of emotions come back. The countless times Lori and I drove to the UM Cancer Center in Ann Arbor for a blood draw and to see Dr. Johnston and her oncology team.  Two things still shine so brightly to me,when we first went to meet Dr. Johnston and get Lori’s blood drawn. When we walked in,we saw all the other patients,some were in wheelchairs with their caregivers and they were carrying bags full of the various meds they needed to stay alive. Many of them had blankets wrapped around them to stay warm.
The noise level was so quiet despite having 40-50 people waiting that the nurse would call out names in a normal speaking voice and you could hear it on the other side of the room.
Little did we know that in about a year,we would be in that group (minus the wheelchair,that came later) and I would be carrying a small bag of meds for Lori.
The blood draw would normally take 5 minutes for most patients but since Lori had poor veins due to her prolactioma tumor,it took much longer and many times a doctor would have to step in to help. It would take 15-20 minutes and it wasn’t pleasant.
When I sat in the chair for my draw,I got tears in my eyes just as I do know in writing this out. It brought back all those memories back in a rush. Not that I needed this to bring them back,I always carry them with me. My draw was three tubes and a band-aid. I was out in 5 minutes but of course I was,right?
I went home and waited for the results. When I didn’t hear anything for the first two days,I knew I was okay in terms of that mass. Here is another lesson brought to you by uterene cancer…..the faster your labs come back in,the chances that you are really sick are greater. When Lori had her DNC (look it up men or ask your wives/girlfriends),it took less then a day to find out she had cancer,something that her other doctors completely missed altogether.
The other helpful tidbit is when you are in a hospital,the earlier you are seen at rounds,the more serious your case is. If your doctor is beating your breakfast to you,you are really sick. But if they come in and have lunch and watch “Days Of Our Lives” with you,you are headed home soon.
So not getting any results for days instead of hours was a good sign. In fact I will be honest,I was expecting the results telling me I was diabetic. I am way overweight and don’t move around around as much as I should. I fully was expecting to be called back into the office to be told this. But nothing….until last Friday when I got the tests back…..and this:

It was good to see you.

  In regards to your labs, everything is essentially normal, great job. Only slight elevation in sugar level(glucose) and low HDL(good cholesterol level.) Otherwise you are doing excellent per these results and we will monitor everything annually. Continue lifestyle modifications with diet/activity changes. Follow up with me as scheduled, take care and stay safe.

And that is where we are at today. I’m starting to walk again,I mapped out the route Earl and I used to walk and found out it was almost two miles a lap. I sure do miss walking with him but he withdrew when the pandemic hit and I can understand that. Our library is still closed so I haven’t even had a chance to see him there either.

One more thing,my side feels great…..

Thank to everyone who reached out to me,the cheetah and I cherish you all.

6 thoughts on “Belly Button Blues,part 2

  1. Well, it took two visits to put this behind you, but the news is great. Still don’t know the cause, but who cares? Change lifestyle a little bit, pamper the Cheetah, and get busy on YouTube. We’ll be waiting for the clown reviews.

    Be well my friend.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Such good news, Michael. Very bittersweet memories attached to the whole journey, of course. But so happy for this particular conclusion. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  3. I am so happy for you Michael 🙂 After everything you have been through, it must feel good to know that you are doing really well and I hope it continues to stay that way 🙂 Anyway, keep up the great work as always 🙂

    P.S. I replied back to your comment under that Scooby Doo blog entry of yours, but it is still awaiting moderation – just approve it when you have the time 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s